Tuesday 6 September 2016

Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix




I have mentioned in a few of my frugal tasks posts, that I make a homemade hot chocolate mix. A few readers have asked for it, so I thought I would share it today. This is my version of a recipe found on allrecipes.com which was not chocolate-y or sweet enough for my liking. I tweaked the ratios and am pleased with the result.

I have not worked out the exact price per batch, but it would be much cheaper than buying Milo and those sachets of hot chocolate!

We love drinking this in the cooler months and if packaged in a jar or cellophane bag, it would also make a nice gift.



1 and 3/4 cup of milk powder
3/4 cup of cocoa powder
1 cup of white sugar
pinch of salt

Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir through until well mixed.
Store in a sealed jar, tin or container. I store mine in an old medium sized Moccona coffee jar.

To use, add 2 heaped teaspoons of hot choc mix to a cup or mug. Add as much milk as you would like, I use the same amount as I would use in a cup of tea. Once the milk is added, stir well. Top your cup up with boiling water and stir again.

Adding the milk to the mix first, gives it a nice froth on the top.

Enjoy!



4 comments:

  1. The pinch of salt brings out the flavour absolutely. In our house we serve with a big dollop of whipped cream and a little chilli powder on top of the cream....we learned this from the movie Chocolat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mr HM,
      Whipped cream sounds delightful! I have also added a bit of chilli powder to make a chilli hot chocolate, which is my favourite!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this. We drink a lot of hot chocolate in winter, so I can see this being quite a saving.
    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Janine,
    You are very welcome! Once you have bought the initial cocoa and milk powder you can make a lot of batches. Definately much cheaper! x

    ReplyDelete