Friday 10 June 2016

The Value of Stockpiling


Stockpile of milk and flour.


Stockpiling is something I feel is very important in any home. It is security in times of need. Whether it be loss of income, illness or another crisis, having a stockpile is something reliable in a stressful time. Honestly I was never more grateful for my snap frozen, ready prepped vegetables than when we were all sick recently. It allowed to me make quick, healthy and easy meals for my family and I didn't have to go shopping which was a blessing.

I grew up in a house where the food cupboard and fridge were perpetually empty, so food scarcity is a fear I have dealt with and having enough food on hand to feed everyone is very important to me. I remember when we ran out of food and my mum would send me to go and stay at my Nan's house for a few days. Nanna's pantry and freezer was always brimming with food and she had a little overflow cupboard laden with tinned food, sugar and tea. I would often go to that cupboard and just open it's doors to look at the contents. It is no coincidence that having a full belly also brings feelings of happiness and being loved I think, and I always felt that when I was at Nan's house.

Most of my friends think I'm a crazy doomsday prepper for having my stockpile stashes around the house and one laughed at me for buying a 16 kilo bag of carrots! But right now my job is to home educate my son, help keep our home clean and tidy and to work around our home to keep everyone well fed and comfortable. Part of that is also saving money where ever I can. Right now because I do not work outside the home I have the luxury of time and can tend a garden, make homemade gifts, cook jam, bake our meals from scratch or spend time peeling and preparing loads of vegetables for the freezer! I appreciate that everyone does not have the time to do this and I understand that my life might not always be this way so I'm enjoying saving as much money now while I can.

Stockpiling also allows you save money by buying items when they are on a great sale. Items like 5kg bags of  rice often go on sale for half price every few weeks and this is a great time to buy in bulk. I also stock up on deodorant for hubby and the teens at this time too. This way they get the brand they like and I'm happy because I've bought enough to last ages at much cheaper than normal.

You do not need heaps of room to have a stockpile either. My kitchen is an older style one with no pantry so I have a few different cupboards where I store our food. Anything that doesn't fit in the cupboards goes under our bed in banana boxes or if its grains or something very perishable it goes in a sealed container. The big bags of rice are also stored in our bedroom.

There does not need to be a lot of money invested when beginning a stockpile and extra $5 or $10 can go a long way. I like to buy pantry staples like cupboard milk, flour, sugar, cocoa, pasta etc most fortnights so that I always keep my supply up.

Stockpiling does not need to be limited to food either. You can buy cleaning supplies, toothpaste and toiletries. I have not needed to buy toothpaste for years because I bought several tubes at my co-op for only a couple of dollars. The same goes for shampoo, conditioner, sunscreen, body wash and sanitary pads. If they are very cheap I will buy heaps! I do not normally buy expensive brands- I am a generic girl all the way, but I have these in my cupboard thanks to co-op. I also buy bi carbonate soda and Epsom salts in 25kg bags which is a great investment and saves me loads of money in cleaning products.

You can also stockpile gifts and I have a couple of shelves in my built in robe which are used for this. Sometimes I will find something very cheap at an op-shop which would make a great gift, or make homemade gifts like preserves, relishes, infused oils, bath salts, bubble bath, soy candles, cards or something I've sewed. I package it up prettily using what I have on hand and then into the cupboard it goes.I've been participating in Annabel's Christmas Challenge  which involves crafting items during the year so you have heaps ready for giving at birthdays and Christmas. This avoids much stress later in the year and you have something to craft all year round! I need to keep busy so I love this. Being a part of the challenge has really motivated me, and I'm pleased to say I have been steadily adding to my gift stash. This is another way that you can save heaps of money and lovely homemade gifts can cost only a few dollars rather than needing to rush out to a store and end up spending $20-$50! If you are not crafty you can also keep an eye out for items on clearance that would make great gifts and stash them away for later.

I had a friend visit the other day to drop of some candle jars ready for me to refill with wax for her. I pulled out some candles I've made recently with new scents to show her and she asked me why I had so many candles in my wardrobe, I told her it is my gift cupboard. She then asked if she could buy some of  my pretties because she has a few birthdays coming up and then told me she will have to come "shopping" at my house more often!

Do you have a stockpile?




Laundry cupboard stockpile

Sugar and breadcrumbs.


Canned food cupboard.


Under bed stockpile.


Under bed stockpile.


Gift stockpile, getting very full.


Jams, relishes, teas and flavoured oils in the gift cupboard.

19 comments:

  1. I feel like we are kindred spirits. :) I too remember a shortage of food in the house when I was very young and now need to have a full pantry, freezer and refrigerator to feel safe. Thank goodness my husband understands this need. ;) Your gift robe is so organized...mine is a mess at the moment and I really do need to go through it. I did pull a very nice beach towel that I had bought on clearance and had stored up out for a very special high school graduate this past week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,
      Thanks for your understanding. It definitely is a security thing. I'm so glad your hubby is on board, mine is too, even when he thinks I'm crazy for buying 15 kilos of potatoes on a good sale lol. Oh, I was a bit embarrassed my my gift cupboard photos, its very hard to keep organized when I keep adding more things! I recently added some homemade bubble bath and batch salts. I have to keep finding room in there-like a game of tetris!I'm glad you had a gift on hand to give, it saves so much money doesn't it? xx

      Delete
  2. I recently had an infestation of weavils, something that has never happened to me before. I keep all items in containers and accepted that they may have squeezed in under the snap lock lids but was amazed to find them in glass jars with screw top lids, items that I very rarely open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe,

      Oh no!I've had a few infestations over the years, it is so annoying. I also keep most of my dry goods in glass jars but apparently the larvae can be in the rice etc when you buy it from the shop- sounds gross huh?! I've found the trick is to put any legumes, dried fruit, flour, cereals etc straight in the freezer for at least 24 hours and then place in containers. Good luck! x

      Delete
    2. After you clean out your jars, shelves and boxes, scatter some Bay Leaves (fresh or dried) around the shelves and in the storage boxes too, but not inside the jars obviously and you'll not only never see another Weevil, but also Cockroaches hate Bay Leaves and won't come near them. Found that last bit out by happy accident.

      Delete
    3. Hi Edwina,

      Thanks for your tip! x

      Delete
  3. Mel, you are such an inspiration! I am looking at cutting back to working one day a week (or retiring altogether, if that doesn't work out). Our first grandchild is due in August, and my daughter has asked that I watch him twice a week because she has to work to make ends meet in her household. I'm very excited about this new time of life, but a little nervous. You have shown how it is possible. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chipmunk,

      Thank you so much. It absolutely is possible! We have recently made leaps with paying off our debt too which I'll post about soon. Wow, you have a couple of big changes right there, cutting back on work and a grand baby, how exciting! Honestly you won't know yourself! I have found that we are living better now than when I was working and we were financially "better off". Home cooked meals, growing vegetables, paying off debt and more time together just to mention a few things that have improved our lives. I know you will do amazingly! xx

      Delete
  4. What a great write-up on such an important topic! Well written and motivational Mel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mr Homemaker! That means a lot to me. You have been inspiring to me in regards to stockpiling on a budget :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you Mel!
    I sure do have stockpiles. There are so many circumstances that we would depend on it. I believe it is better than money in the bank. The power can go out and banking can be down as has happened repeatedly in the last months.
    It is a subject that I think we do better with motivation as life can get in the way... so I try and establish goals and take advantage or free food and sales etc to add where I can.
    Right now a big storm is about to hit. I don't have to go to the shops I can just go to the cupboard instead!
    Love this, many thanks!
    I think if you have encouraged someone new to start a stockpile you have done them a big favour! With love Annabel.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annabel,

      I hope all went well during the storm. Your blog has motivated me a lot in terms of preparedness. I am going to focus on torches and batteries etc rather than just food as well. You are so right there, it is better than money in the bank. The worlds finances are so unstable, you never know what might happen. Several years ago there was a big storm, and the next suburb to us was hit badly which meant my kids school and local shops were shut for days. A friend who lived in that area had no power for a week. When my teens think I'm strange for stockpiling, I remind them of this and they become quiet lol. How wonderful for you to be able to shop from your own cupboard! xx

      Delete
  6. Hi Mel, I started buying in bulk when I had 3 babies in 3 years and my Marine husband was often gone for weeks or months. It is very hard to carefully shop with so many tiny ones along. So then, I learned to buy enough when my husband was home to get us all through until he would return.
    He never complains about my stockpiling and we've been married for 36 years now.
    I live in the US and have a store called CVS where I do so much of my bargain shopping. I use manufacturer coupons combined with sales and store coupons and store money back. I've built up our health, cleaning, cosmetics and paper goods to a more than a years supply for very little cash.

    I don't currently have a gift stockpile, though I did in the past. Yours is just lovely!
    Thank you for this article. It is so nice to see what other kindred spirits do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda,

      Thank you so much for your comment. I really love this blogging community and the support here means a lot much to me! 3 babies in 3 years would have been so challenging, shopping while your husband was home I think was a great idea. When my kids were small I would avoid the stores as much as possible. I know a little about coupons in the US mostly through the show Extreme Couponing lol. We don't have coupons here, but if we did I would definitely be couponer! How wonderful to be able to build up your supply for a bargain price. xx

      Delete
    2. Good morning. That Extreme Coupon show is not real life, anymore than the Real Housewives show are real housewives.
      But in the US coupons can be very useful. This week my coupon trip got me 2 lipsticks, 2 packs of dental flossers and 4 packs of the press on gel nails I like so much for $6. Without coupons or deals, it would of been $54.
      Not a big haul but when I shop like this, it really adds up.

      Delete
  7. I've had stockpiles for years. I think it's another form of an emergency fund. I can't name the number of times we've literally lived off that stock pile and put money that was normally grocery budget towards another need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri,

      You are absolutely right, it is like another emergency fund. I think I will start "investing" a bit of money regularly into stockpiling. xx

      Delete
  8. Hi Mel,

    You are a great stockpiler and I am encourage by this post. I love the boxes under the bed :)

    I have been stockpiling for quite a few years now. When things are on special I stock up! I am fortunate to have a large walk in pantry, but it hasn't always been that way. I still keep excess items stashed in bottoms of cupboards and on top of wardrobes, and in big buckets on the floor at the bottom of my pantry. The shampoo and conditioner I use is on special often and I buy quite a few to keep my supply up. I try not to pay full price for anything.

    A recent outbreak of pantry moth caused me a great deal of grief...I had to sort through everything in the pantry and throw out anything that had been infested, I was not happy!

    Thank you for this post, it was a great read.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania,

      Thank you :) I recently tidied up under the bed and found a couple of slabs of tinned baked beans and spaghetti right in the back there! Big buckets are a great idea and they would fit in my built in wardrobes as well. I'm so sorry to hear about the pantry moths, I've had a few infestations over the years an it is so upsetting. Have your tried the freezing trick? (freezing for 24 hours to kill off the eggs before storing?)xx

      Delete